Trying this recipe for baked beans today:
- 2# navy beans
- 4 qts cold water
- 1 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1 T molasses
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 c tomato paste
- 2 onions, small dice
- boiling water
- optional-1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce and bacon
- Rinse beans with cold water, combine water and beans, soak overnight.
- Cook beans in soaking water. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer until tender. Skim foam as needed.
- sauté onions until just soft
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- Drain beans
- Combine beans, brown sugar, mustard, salt, pepper, hot pepper sauce (if using), onions, and tomato paste. spread beans into a 12×9 baking dish, or use two dishes, make the beans no more than three inches high. Cover with boiling water, top with optional bacon
- Bake uncovered 3 hours, adding water if necessary
- Cool, store overnight in the fridge or freezer.
The original recipe says to line the baking dishes with foil, cool at room temp for an hour and 15 minutes after baking, then put in the freezer overnight in the baking dishes, remove from dishes the next day and return to the freezer. Seems a bit excessive to me so I figure letting them sit overnight to let the flavors really marry is what’s important.
I also didn’t use the hot sauce or the bacon because my daughter doesn’t like either of those (not liking bacon is weird, but I’m ok with it on the side)