Thanks to Smitten Kitchen for the basis for this recipe, although as usual I changed things a little. I added a tsp of vanilla extract, 1/4 tsp of almond extract, and a pinch of nutmeg. I wanted to add 1 tsp lemon zest, but didn’t have any on hand, orange would be lovely as well. If you use the zest omit the extracts.
- 2 cups (10 ounces) ap flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- preheat oven to 425°F
- combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt
- use two knives, a pastry blender or your fingertips and quickly cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal, with a few slightly larger butter lumps.
- stir in heavy cream with a rubber spatula or fork until dough begins to form
- knead dough by hand just until it comes together into a rough, sticky ball
- roll out dough with a rolling pin, folding into thirds 3 times (this will create flaky layers), cut into desired shape
- place scones on ungreased baking sheet and bake until scone tops are light brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on wire rack for at least 10 minutes.