I’ve made this a few times now and I’m making a couple of amendments to the recipe…
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon yeast
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 c sourdough starter (optional, but worth it)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast.
- Add water and starter, mix until a shaggy mixture forms.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 12 – 18 hours (18 is preferable).
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Pour dough onto a heavily floured surface and shape into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and let relax for about 30 minutes.
- When the oven has reached 450 degrees place a cast iron pot with a lid (foil or a sheet pan work just fine) in the oven and heat the pot for 30 minutes.
- Remove hot pot from the oven and drop in the dough.
- Cover and return to oven for 30 minutes.
- After about 20 minutes remove the lid and bake an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.